Wednesday, January 16, 2008

a very very long blog entry

Greetings from Butare...

[I hope you all are well! I started an entry in this blog two days ago but felt if I waited a little longer I could give you a more interesting update about what's going on over here. And then I moved cities at the last moment today (Monday), so who knows when I'll have internet access to post this entry! But I'll go ahead and write it, and post it when I can. Thanks for your patience!]

It seems like a long time ago now, but my plane ride(s) over here to Rwanda last week went really smoothly. I had the opportunity to go to Haarlem in Holland during my 14-hour layover there (it's an easy train ride from the airport if you should ever find yourself in the same situation). I went to Haarlem specifically to see the Corrie TenBoom house/museum after Vic and I had listened to the radio drama in the car on the way up Hwy 25 from New Mexico. It was really moving to take a tour, hear the TenBoom story again, and actually see where the family and their "guests" lived during WWII. (If you don't know the story, please do google it...it's a great true story about sacrifice and doing the right thing, no matter the cost). I will post some photos of the house when I can; there is a shot of the actual room where the Jews hid in the TenBoom home. While the story is tragic in many respects, it also is a story of hope, of forgiveness, and healing, and I was so glad to have the opportunity to visit this place on my way into Rwanda. It reminded me that even in the darkest times, and the most difficult times, God's power and love is accessible and can heal even the deepest hurts.

I arrived in Kigali after a very safe 3-hour stay in Nairobi's airport, and some friends from World Relief surprised and delighted me by their presence at the Kigali airport (Melene and Baraka included, whom many of you know...they send their greetings!). My luggage arrived intact...no missing suitcases, although I confess for a few minutes while I watched the baggage carousel I had flashbacks from the Philippines last summer. :) Thank you for your prayers; it is SO nice to have all my stuff with me!

I was taken straight to my temporary quarters at the Smiths' home (Phil and Becca Smith, that is; Phil is the WR country director of Rwanda, and Becca is his wife). I have been very comfortable there over the weekend, and because they live in a very safe, heavily expatriate community in Kigali I can even do things like (imagine!) go jogging. :) Which I did do, on Sunday afternoon; who knows how much longer I can take advantage of this! I actually haven't seen Phil yet, as he has been helping the WR Kenya staff in Nairobi with food distribution and relief coordination in the slums; he is scheduled to return tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Becca very kindly took me to get a SIM card and exchange money on Saturday afternoon; I've enjoyed chatting with her about everything from Cape Town excursions to where NOT to buy groceries in Kigali to how to take care of a "watch-bird" (in lieu of a watch dog, that is...the Smiths inherited a beautiful and noisy crested crane when they came to their current residence). Again, I'll post photos when I can! While the Smiths' hospitality is fantastic, I don't want to wear out my welcome and am looking for a more permanent place to live...would very much appreciate your prayers in that regard. :)

The night I arrived (Friday), the director of programs at WRR (World Relief Rwanda), Sarah, hosted a welcome dinner at her home, which was such a nice way to start out here in my new country-for-a-year (thank you!). And Saturday night, it was great to join some other volunteers and expatriates here who are serving in a variety of ways around the country; we had Mexican dinner at a local restaurant, and narrowly missed our chance to try out the new karaoke room (it's not quite finished yet). Maybe next weekend. :) There are some really great people here seeking to make a difference in the lives of Rwandans, and it was fun to meet some of them.

Sunday I attended church with Sarah and her roommate Audrey; it was a pretty big church in Kigali, and while the service was filled with Rwandans and other Africans, it was conducted in English, which was very different from any other experience I've had here. Being based in urban Kigali (as opposed to, say, rural Kibogora) is going to be a different experience all around, I'm beginning to see! Afterward, Sarah and I met up with a former staff member from WR with whom I initially had contact regarding the Fulbright, way back last spring. She's here with a different child survival project right now, and over lunch, I was able to get some orientation from her and Sarah about the direction I will likely be able to pursue regarding the research and work that I'll be doing here during the year pertaining to newborn health.

Then this morning (Monday), I had a meeting with the program officers of the actual WR child survival program (known as the EIP, the Expanded Impact Project) -- I'm beginning to think I should put an acronym key in this blog!. We continued the dialogue about what needs they see in the context of the EIP regarding newborn health, and what they see as feasible projects for me during the year. While everything is still in the formative stages, it looks as though I'll begin by developing and conducting interviews with women in the EIP communities who have lost babies in birth or due to illness in the first month of life; in doing so, I'll be able to examine at an individual level what are common care-seeking practices and perspectives regarding newborn health, which in turn will help the EIP to know how to develop appropriate interventions for mothers and newborns. Thank you also for your prayers as I begin this work! It will take time and input from many others in order to carry out the first part of this project in a culturally sensitive and appropriate manner.

After the meeting this morning with the EIP officers, I left Kigali for 36-48 hours (not sure how long yet) to go with Melene and another volunteer here (Erica) to Butare, where Erica is carrying out a training for EIP workers in diarrhea research. Diarrhea is one of the top three leading causes of death in Rwandan children under five years old. That's unacceptable, particularly since (as you know), diarrhea is entirely preventable. I am looking forward to seeing Erica's approach at the training (tomorrow (Tuesday) and meeting some of the EIP staff in Butare, with whom I will hopefully be working in the coming months. I didn't know this little trip was even a possibility when I left the Smith's this morning, but hey, this is Africa and it's fun times. I jumped at the opportunity to come along. I am writing this, sans internet connection, from a guest house run by nuns, close by to where we'll work tomorrow. It's very comfortable, quiet, and DARK in the hallways. Thank you, Vic, for making sure I have flashlights. :)

Okay, normally I won't give you a blow-by-blow like this! But I just wanted to bring you up to speed on how things are going here so far. I'll keep you posted on housing situations and project goings-on as they unfold. Thank you for being a blessing to me! :) I'll touch base again soon.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! It looks like you've really hit the ground running! Praise God for these great contacts and networking you've already made. It will be fun to see how your research begins to take shape. May God guide and bless you, and may He bless Rwanda through you.

Anonymous said...

This is great insight into your current world, Christine. Thanks for taking the time to give us all a peak! I'm so glad for the wonderful connections and support so far. Will keep praying, ~Jeanette