Thursday, January 17, 2008

the hyenas have a wedding


On those rare meteorological occasions when the sun is out while it's pouring rain, my first response has always been to look for the rainbow.

Not here.

Yesterday I was working at the World Relief offices in Kigali, mainly looking up recent research articles about newborn health. Sarah (who's an American) happened to be in the office I share with Melene when the rain started to come sheeting down from the sky while the sun was shining brightly across the valley. (I am even posting a picture here of the view, looking out from the World Relief offices...see how hard it's pouring!!) "Oh," Sarah said, "the hyenas are having a wedding. That's what they say here."

What?

Melene (who of course is Rwandan, and was sitting right there too) confirmed that what Sarah said was true. Instead of indicating the need to look for rainbows here, this kind of weather prompts certainty about hyena weddings.

Hmmm. That's...different! So I asked Melene where that story came from. She just laughed and said she didn't know.

So, the next time the sun is shining when the rain is falling...you'll know that hyenas are being wed somewhere nearby. Don't forget you heard it here.

2 comments:

Jennifer Disney said...

Assignment #1...... check! I'm proud of you for posting a photo! Well, I'm proud of you anyway. That's a funny story! I love stuff like that. :)

Tracy said...

That is much nicer to imagine than cats and dogs falling from the sky!