Tuesday, January 29, 2008

a strange kind of liberty

If you received my updates while I was in-country in 2006, you may remember a situation I wrote home about regarding what many perceived as false imprisonment of two men for genocide-related crimes. Without getting into all the details, I wanted to joyfully report that one of the men was recently released, freed to go home to his family after spending over a year in jail. Fantastic news!

The other man, however, remains imprisoned. Friends of mine recently visited him, hoping to encourage him by bringing him some food and some words of hope.

The imprisoned man, who still maintains his innocence, ended up being a strong encouragement to my friends instead... He talked about how he was able to share the hope and love of God with other prisoners, and was able to minister to others in prison. He didn't shake a fist at God for allowing him to be imprisoned, but instead saw his imprisonment as an opportunity to serve and comfort those around him.

There are some things that bars just cannot contain.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Wow, that gives me chills!