Monday, January 21, 2008

embassies, meetings, and first birthday cakes...

The rest of last week flew by! I did make my first trip to the US Embassy here on Thursday (and got a great security briefing...it turns out Rwanda is one of the safest places to be in East Africa right now. They say!).

I also made my second trip to the US Embassy the very next day, on Friday! This time, it was to pick up a big box of research materials that I had sent ahead of me; I received a message Friday morning to come pick it up. The Embassy closes at 1 pm on Friday, however, which I didn't know, and I arrived at about 1:20. Thanks to some very accomodating Rwandan guards, and the chief security officer who was still in his office, I managed to get the box anyhow.

This might seem like a small thing, but I was thrilled....not only is it inconvenient to make multiple trips to the Embassy, but the matter was complicated by the fact that there is a new US Embassy building being built in Kigali, and they are moving to their new home starting this week. My box would have disappeared into Embassy oblivion for who-knows-how-long, had I not been able to recuperate it on Friday! So I was very grateful. :)

I also had a meeting at the BASICS office last Thursday. BASICS is the other organization with whom I'm working while here, associated with the Rwandan Ministry of Health, and focusing on newborn care. Then on Friday I was in meetings much of the day at World Relief; the theme for the year at World Relief-Rwanda is "Complete Transformation," and the meeting centered around identifying organizational objectives. My own personal objectives are to finish formulating a research and project approach for the year! I have meetings this coming week with UNICEF as well as with USAID, and we'll see how things go.

The WR office here is short-staffed right now, due to loaning of personnel to the WR offices in Nairobi to assist in the recent crisis there. Please keep the situation in Kenya in your prayers, as it is still volatile.

In other news (and answered prayer!): I will be living with Phil and Becca during my time here in Rwanda! They were very generous to offer me a room for the coming months. I am so comfortable there at their home and will be looking forward to the steady stream of international guests that they are constantly hosting. Also, Hilde from Holland is living there right now too, so I am learning lots of fun stuff about social life in Kigali and all the fun places in town to hang out.

On Saturday night, Becca and Phil invited their friend Innocent to a birthday dinner. Innocent is an orphan from Burundi, finishing high school here in Rwanda and living with a Rwandese family. Innocent's birthday was today, the 21st, and Becca baked a carrot cake for him to celebrate! Here's a picture of the cake:



Here's a picture of Phil and Becca (and two of Innocent's "adopted" family) singing Happy Birthday to him (Innocent is holding the cake):



As we sat down to enjoy the cake, we discovered that this was Innocent's first birthday cake! Hard to imagine not having a birthday cake before your 22nd birthday... I guess we all have many things to be thankful for!

Talk to you again soon....

1 comment:

Tracy said...

glad you were able to get your stuff at the embassy. it really sounds like things are moving along there for ya!

xo