Saturday, April 26, 2008

update: how things are going

It's been a while since I've written an update on anything work-related....but I did promise, so here we go...

Most of you probably know that I'm here doing public health research related to newborn health, in conjunction with the WR child survival program (in association with Concern Worldwide and the International Rescue Committee). I have the total privilege to do work here in Rwanda owing to my church's (Ev Free F'ton, let's hear it!) partnership with the Africa Great Lakes region. It was through Ev. Free's partnership that I first came here in 2005 on a short-term team, was able to return here the following summer for my internship, and then was blessed to be able to return again this year on a research fellowship.

The last time I gave an update, I shared how I had been able to network with several other NGOs and local organizations that are also doing work in the arena of newborn health here in Rwanda. Nearly 40% of all children under 5 who die before they turn 5 years old are under 28 days old, so addressing special needs of newborns is critical in fighting preventable child deaths.

Well....wow, so much has changed since then. :) But if it all went the way I thought it would....well, it wouldn't be a true cross-cultural experience, as I was reminded by my Philippines friend Wendy recently.

Essentially, I have been asked to change the focus of my study by the government, with whom the child survival program partners. So the project has broadened to address other child health issues (not just newborn health, but also malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia, and malnutrition, all top killers of children and all preventable, which is so sad, but that's another topic). This new project involves doing a rapid assessment / qualitative research throughout the country (rapid as in 8 weeks) and then using the research results to work with Rwandans to create health behavior change messages for national standardization, in partnership with the Ministry of Health.

It's a wonderful opportunity, for which I was thankful...and the whole project was supposed to be entirely completed last week. As things stand, the project is still going through the proper approval process in the halls of the Ministry of Health. There were some important advances last week, but there are still two more steps it has to pass through before we can begin. Thank you for praying that the project will pass through SWIFTLY...it has been a long wait!!

In the meantime, besides preparing the project and working on organizational and coordination details, I have the privilege of overseeing some sustainability work in southwest Rwanda, in the former child survival program (where I did my thesis). I am currently working with a totally brilliant Harvard public health student to try to get some more funding for the excellent community health work that WR did out there (Rach, I know you get this on RSS feed....I'm almost done with the proposal draft but I needed a break! I'll send it to you tomorrow!). I also am trying to learn the ins-and-outs of the EIP, and helping with some of the compilation of reports that they have to do (tedious, and in French, but really really helpful for me in terms of learning about what's happening out on the field, and necessary to the advancement of the project, so I hope I can do a good job for them).

So that's the update (if you made it this far!). I am loving it, even with all the attending challenges....what a blessing to be here, and I feel very sustained by your prayers. There are lots of opportunities every day to share God's love, either by a smile, or showing patience, or lending a listening ear (there is sometimes a lot of venting in high-stress situations...there is tons of work and few laborers, it seems!). Sometimes I even get to use words to share His love. You are such an important part of what's happening here, through your friendship, words of encouragement, and prayers, and I just want to thank you.

More than anything, my desire would be for this work here to be a vehicle for God somehow to reveal Himself and His character to a hurting people, and to the impoverished and poor. I am completely powerless to accomplish that. But your prayers can do that. Thank you so much for praying. :)

And maybe the best part about being here is getting to interact with amazing, dedicated, fun people (mostly Africans) who serve and sweat and laugh and cry, trying to give dying children a fighting chance to live...live up to their God-given potential. The work I described above really becomes secondary to what I learn from the heroes here who put in long grueling hours at times, just to make sure trainings get planned and carried out, or reports get submitted to people who will pay the next vital budget installment, or that medications get out into the hands of the community health workers who will administer them to needy children. Thank you for your prayers for them too.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Ha! Christine, you are so kind! I am so thrilled to be working with you on this.

It was great to read more about what you've been doing, too. It sounds like it's been quite the learning experience. It sounds like you're doing incredibly valuable work, even if it isn't quite what was planned.

Looking forward to connecting tomorrow! (And I absolutely love Skype! Welcome to 2006, me, huh? :) I wish it had been around in 2004 when I really needed it!)