Monday, April 7, 2008

another Kinyarwandan proverb

"Kugera kure siko gupfa."

Literal translation: Reaching the depths of despair is not dying.

Cultural translation: Despondency is not the end of the world.

As a Westerner, I don't know how I feel about the above proverb....the psychological streak in me, uneducated as it may be, whispers, "This is simply denial...you must respect your pain before you can move beyond it." But, there is something in my heart that signals a gentle reprimand and reminder: this is not my culture, my language, my worldview. Perhaps survival depends on this proverb. Perhaps here, if you give in to despndency, you will literally starve. I don't know all the answers.

But notwithstanding....today, the first Monday of April, the nation of Rwanda has a day off (not really a "holiday", so I can't say that exactly). The purpose of the day is to commemorate the start of the genocide in 1994, and the upcoming week is also filled with various related conferences and other commemorative events.

Depending on who you talk to, this is both a helpful and a harmful week. One Rwandan told me that many people are simply re-traumatized during this time. Would you pray that God might bring restoration to the hearts and minds of those who have been traumatized and are captive to re-experiencing such pain, year after year? Would you pray that this would be a year of healing for these?

Thank you also for your prayers that, as a foreigner to this country and as a foreigner to this tragedy, I could be a blessing to those around me who are hurting. I think most foreigners working here seek to identify with the Rwandan people, to some level or another, but (with a few exceptions) most of us can't begin to comprehend the magnitude of what many are feeling here as they reflect on the past. Please pray that we would be enabled to weep with those who weep and show heaven's compassion. Thank you....

Finally....would you pray that God would continue to turn despondency to hope? That His Spirit would continue to stir in the hearts of all here, that a spirit of grace, forgiveness, reconciliation, and restoration would fill this place? Prayer is what will make the difference.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Wow. I have chills thinking about what this day must be like for the Rwandan people. I will pray for healing.