Friday, May 2, 2008

go badgers (rwanda edition)

It happened that UW-Madison Spirit Day coincided with Africa Malaria Day (April 25). I saw on an alumni email update that UW-Madison was holding a photo contest for Spirit Day, and there were prizes for, among other things, the "Badger furthest from the UW campus."

While I may not be the furthest Badger from the UW campus, Rwanda is still pretty far from Madison. So in the hopes of winning some unknown prize, I asked some of my verrrry nice colleagues to pose for a photo outside the Kirehe Health Center last Friday, where bednets were being distributed for Africa Malaria Day (see post below). Go Badgers!



From L to R are: Naissan (Care Group leader in Kirehe), me, Clemence (assistant to WR's Director of Programs), and Leonard (child survival program Manager of Quality Assurance). It's hard to read the signs, maybe, but they say "Africa Malaria Day: Kirehe, Rwanda" and "Badgers: 1; Mosquitoes: 0." Please notice that I am wearing red (a requirement of the contest). And yes, I am a nerd. But you know that already.

I mentioned that the woman in the hat in the previous blog post is Ashley Judd, who attended the event and was greeting the children. Here is proof that the woman is, in fact, Ashley Judd (and not just a woman in a wide-brimmed hat):



And then, here are some of the children...the real future of Rwanda!

2 comments:

Jennifer Disney said...

What fun posts!
So did you meet Ashley Judd? Or better yet, did she get the privilege of meeting my beautiful and amazing friend? :)
The little girl in the photo below that reminds me of Hannah Brown. Her nose and expression.
Miss you!

Rachel said...

I really hope you win!! Did you go to undergrad in Wisconsin? Then you DO know the sheer joy of copious amounts of windshield washer fluid!! That place qualifies as a cold-snow place. :)

I'm recovering from my week and trying to get motivated to write a paper for tomorrow (a big paper. I don't know why the holdup on motivation.) I haven't heard anything from our adventure beyond what they replied to me (and copied you). But that adventure was certainly the most valuable thing I've done in a few months... :)

Talk to you soon! Thanks for your comment on my blog! :)