Tuesday, March 4, 2008

wisdom on the wall

I had a wonderful time this weekend visiting Baraka's family and church outside of Kigali. Besides being a lovely woman with a heart for God and a wonderful ministry for orphans, Baraka is a beloved "adopted" sister/daughter/friend of many back in my home church in CA. So I felt especially blessed being able to spend time at Baraka's ministry site (which is also the farm of her older brother, JP, another "adoptee" of my home church), as well as at her own home and her church.

As I was leaving the farm on Sunday morning, just before church, I noticed this sign on the wall:



In French, it says, "He who has lost his money has lost nothing. He who has lost his health has lost something. He who has lost his courage has lost everything."

Baraka's family has lived here in Rwanda for a long long time. Her father is a pastor and her mother is a farmer; her brothers and sisters are serving God in various capacities around the world, literally. But as I read that wisdom off the wall, I couldn't help but think about what this family has seen, the sorrows and struggles, perhaps untold horrors. Some family friends had joined us for dinner the previous night, and in inquiring about how the families knew one another, they said they went waaaay back....even running for their lives together during the genocide, they said, and laughed. And then the conversation turned to other things. Baraka remarked in passing the next morning how there had been an enormous house on the farm property that was completely destroyed during the genocide. It is always slightly surreal to hear people speak about their pasts here, because even if they are smiling, it becomes evident there are shadows across their hearts, shadows that I could never begin to understand.

I remember reading a definition of courage, once: it is not the absence of fear, but faith in the face of fear. And so it was a privilege to see such courage displayed in this humble family this weekend...they have not given up nor given in, but chosen to serve a hurting world. Courage. I think God is smiling.

2 comments:

Jennifer Disney said...

That was beautiful, my beautiful friend! Thank you for sharing and for having the courage to serve a hurting world as well.

Brian said...

Beautiful. Such rich thought to ponder. Their courage (and yours) in the face of such struggles puts my own challenges into their proper perspective.

Know that Tracy and I think of you often and will be praying for you as the Lord brings you to mind.