Thursday, March 27, 2008

idioms and expressions

It is pouring rain now in Kigali, which is normal -- it's the rainy season! From now until early May, they say. The storms here are incredible, full of lightning and thunder and power. No rainbows lately, however -- hyena wedding season must be over (see an early post from January if you're not sure what I'm talking about).

Speaking of pouring rain, I came in today to the office and mentioned to Melene, "Wow, it's pouring!" She looked at me blankly. "Pouring? What is it?" I smiled and explained, and knowing how fast Melene catches on to things, she'll be using the expression during tomorrow's storm.

Explaining idioms or expressions to one another is an almost-daily part of office life here. When I drove to the child survival office for the first time last week (thank you again, Ev. Free, for the car!), the Quality Assurance manager here greeted me joyously from his office window with an expression I didn't understand...."C'est le temps d'arroser!" Literally, it means, "It's time for the sprinkling," as in, sprinkling the lawn or sprinkling the flowers. From my own blank face, I'm sure, he proceeded to explain: it's time to celebrate, i.e., "sprinkle" the champagne! A new favorite expression. :)

An acquaintance here was struggling with some "higher-ups" in his organization who were working through some conflict with one another. "Quand les éléphants se battrent, les herbes sont détruite," he said with a laugh. Literally: "When the elephants fight, it's the grass that gets destroyed."

A Rwandan proverb I've heard a couple of times goes like this: "The coming of visitors is like a good rain. So you must come again." Rwandans love visitors -- they say this often -- and it is a nice feeling to be welcomed.

Another Rwandan proverb came up yesterday during chapel (we have a chapel service every Friday morning at WR), where the speaker was sharing about accountability. He started out by talking about order, and how it's important to know who (in this case, Who) is in charge. The proverb was, "Too many hunters confuse the dogs." :) I like that one!

I'll try to keep you posted as they come up...

No comments: