Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Yego means Yes :)



After a crazy crazy busy month here (hence the lack of recent posts!), Bear came for a 10-day visit!! Actually, he's still here. And I am so excited to share....we are engaged!!

We spent a relaxing four days out in Kibogora at one of my favorite places in Rwanda, a quiet and lovely mission compound with a beautiful view of Lake Kivu and with a rich history of compassionate missionary activity spanning back at least 70 years. It's always fun to see old friends there (you probably know I've been out there several times already this year because of work that WR does in that region), and it's a fun place to be to meet new people who are staying on the grounds (there are a few different houses where guests can stay).

Bear and I arrived at the mission compound on Thursday, and for a few days spent time relaxing, catching up with one another, enjoying the scenery, and spending time with other guests as well as with Sheila (a British woman who runs the mission and who's been there for 25 years!). It was such a nice time to unwind from a busy work schedule and just spend time together.

On Sunday Bear and I took an early-morning walk to watch the sunrise, something I've never done in Rwanda. It was a beautiful, clear morning, with a slightly cool breeze. We walked through the nearby village of Kibogora and up a hill at the end of the road, where we had a great view of the hills across the valley over which the sun would come up. The sky began to lighten and brighten in front of our eyes, and we chatted and took photos as we waited for the sun to appear. I found out later that Bear had planned to ask me to marry him then, just as we watched the sun poke out over the hilltops across the way. But Bear noticed (and I had noticed also!) that our hilltop watch also happened to be the location where the villagers came to fill their jerrycans every morning with water from the nearby water pump, and the line for water was getting longer every minute. And while they waited to get water, they began to form a semi-circle around us, out of curiosity to see what these two muzungus were doing there! So for the sake of privacy Bear changed his mind and decided to wait!

After watching the rays of sun peek over the horizon, and after snapping a few more photos, we headed back to the mission compound for a quiet and peaceful breakfast on the back porch of the place I was staying on the mission compound. Our view looked down out over the lake, and as the sun began to shimmer in the waters and the world around us continued to stir and awaken, we reminisced about the way God has led our friendship and our relationship, and talked about the future ahead.

I remember thinking, 'Wow, I hope he asks me now....this would be perfect.' But then it actually got a bit more perfect, as Bear took my hand and began to pray, thanking God for His leading and blessing, and praying for God's guidance for the future. And then he got down on his knee, took out a beautiful, delicate aquamarine ring (more on that in a minute), and asked me to marry him... I paused, just taken up with the moment and a little bit awed at how this was really happening, so thankful for all God had done and was doing..... And then I said yes! A lot of times. In a few different languages. :)

So, that is the story. Bear is an amazing man and I feel so blessed to be with him. We didn't have good internet connection for three days after that, so we couldn't tell any of our far-away loved ones (you!) right away. And we would also have preferred to tell you individually! But thanks for letting us share the news this way. And we are so excited to share the news! I have to go right now to dinner but I will share more later.... Thank you all for your love and support!

18 comments:

Jennifer Disney said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! I want to see a photo of the ring!

Chris Brashear said...

Way to go guys!! I'm so happy for you!! Notice how the wedding photographers got here first! I love it. Such cool news.

Jenn said...

Yay, Christine! I'm so happy for you and Bear. :)

Crista said...

Christine!!!

I'm so excited for you! (I totally cried when I read your post). Michelle's not in the office yet, but I can't wait to show her your blog! Be sure to keep us posted on the wedding date, future children, and all that good stuff =). Again, I can't express how happy I am for you both - YAY!!!!

Crista

Al said...

YAY!!! Well it's about dern time! KIDDING!!! Congratulations to the both of you! What a perfect match - you were truly made for each other! :) I am so very happy for you, and all the excitement to come! All of my love, and here's to happily ever after....Al XOXOXOXO

Tracy said...

Yego!!! That's awesome news!

Many big congratulations to you and Bear!!!

I'm so happy for you. Marriage is wonderful!

xoxo

Scott Bates said...

Congratulations Christine and "Bear"!

Christine,
You gotta let me meet this guy soon! He must be a great guy!

Murray said...

HOORAY!!!!! I am so excited for you, my sweet friend. You are so deserving of such a wonderful guy! And, what a lucky guy he is to get a catch like you. Matt and I've been praying for this for so long for you. We love you!

Kristin said...

Congratulations!! I am so filled with joy and excitements and hope for you two. You two are wonderful people and I am so excited to see how the Lord will work in your marriage. And, yes, please post photos of the ring.

{hugs} and love to you!

Becky said...

Christine! Bear is one lucky guy. I am so excited for both of you! I hope you are still planning to come out to Colorado in January so that we can see you!

The Harts said...

Yay! What wonderful news! Brian and I are so excited for all the future has in store for you. Thank you for sharing your joy. Blessings on you and Bear!

Shannon Smith said...

Woo Hoo!!! That's such exciting news! Thanks for sharing. I am so excited for the two of you as you venture down this new chapter in your life!

Robyn Smith said...

Congratulations, Christine! That's such wonderful news.

Unknown said...

Yego!!!

Congratulations! And at Kibogora, no less! Can't get a more beautiful spot in the entire world! :-) [I'm prejudiced, of course.] And he can't get a more beautiful woman in all respects than "Claudia Schiffer." :-) Bear must be a pretty special guy to get you. I'm so very happy for you.

And, yego, please post a photo of the ring.

Rachel said...

Oh, yay - Congratulations, Christine and Bear!!!! What wonderful news! Enjoy the excitement and celebration before you start to plan. :)

infinitewisdom said...

Congratulations! :) I knew it would happen when you left for Africa! (Remember when we had that conversation at the Starbucks? ;) ) I am SO happy for you, and I pray that you and Bear will be very happy together:)

Anita Haag said...

Yipeee!

Jeanetta said...

Christine....I actually have a tear in the corner of each eye!!! I'm thinking back more then a year ago.....while we were in the Philippines....and some of our conversations...and your wonderings...trying to decipher and read between the lines.... What a glorious conclusion to those confusing days of the past!!! ( - ;

I am so very happy for you -- and I say that with a lot of emotion! May His blessings be continued to be poured out in both of your lives -- individually and coorporately!

Love,
Jeanetta